WS23 – VVVV 09 – Data Sensing and Logging with Arduino and vvvv
February 1st 2024, 6 – 9 PM BERLIN time
Live via Zoom, in English Language / Recording will be available the day after the class takes place.
Recordings are accessible for up to one year after purchase.
After the live lesson you will get access to the recording and the workshop files for one year.
Microcontrollers like Arduino offer the power to sense the environment, interpret haptic user input, and create custom input devices for instruments or physical installations. Simultaneously, they enable vvvv to send control commands to a diverse range of actuators, including motors, LEDs, and other hardware components. This synergy opens a world of possibilities for inventive installations and rapid prototyping.
This workshop will concentrate on environmental sensing with the creation of a practical data logger application and its data visualization using vvvv. Participants will delve into the synergy between vvvv and Arduino, addressing key aspects including handling incoming sensor data, employing the firmata library, and proficiently visualizing and recording these data signals.
During this workshop, participants will gain comprehensive knowledge and practical skills in the following key areas:
- Datalogging with vvvv/Arduino:
- Understand the principles and techniques of datalogging using vvvv and Arduino.
- Learn how to collect and store data from sensors and input devices.
- Explore data retrieval and storage methods to effectively manage and analyze sensor data.
- Transmission of Signals Through Cable, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth:
- Discover how to establish connections and transfer data through different mediums, including physical cables, wireless Wi-Fi networks, and Bluetooth.
- Gain insight into the advantages and considerations of each transmission method.
- Data Visualization in Skia:
- Explore the capabilities of the Skia Render Engine for data visualization in vvvv.
- Learn how to create representations of data, transforming raw information into meaningful visualizations.
- Gain hands-on experience in designing and rendering data-driven graphics and charts.
This workshop is for anyone looking to acquire practical skills and knowledge in environmental sensing, data visualization, and the creative use of microcontrollers to build custom input devices. It provides a valuable opportunity for hands-on learning and opens doors to a wide range of applications and creative projects using vvvv.
- A recent PC with stable internet connection
- vvvv runs on Windows only
- The latest build of vvvv gamma installed
- Zoom Client installed (please test your audio setup beforehand)
- 3-Button Mouse recommended
About the Instructor
Vincent Nowak (aka vincent.now) is a practicing architect and researcher based in London. He works at the intersection of urban design, media installation and architecture. He is Co-Founder and Director of Flow Architecture, Senior Associate at UHA London and Lecturer for Urban Design at the UCL Bartlett.
As an architect with a deep passion for computers and digital design, Vincent brings a wealth of experience and expertise to this workshop. Vincent’s unique blend of architectural insight and digital design proficiency positions him as the go to instructor to help you explore the world of Arduino and vvvv.
Student – One Session at 50 EUR = 50 EUR
Professional – One Session at 100 EUR = 100 EUR
Company – One Session at 200 EUR = 200 EUR