WS23 – VVVV 02 – Strategies for Sound Reactive Graphics: How to control everything through sound
November 30th 2023, 6 – 9 PM BERLIN time
Live via Zoom, in English Language / Recording will be available the day after the class takes place.
Recordings are accessible for up to one year after purchase.
After the live lesson you will get access to the recording and the workshop files for one year.
This workshop is designed to explore methods for processing both analog and digital audio/CV signals and leveraging them to create or transform 3D graphics in real time. The goal is to gain an insightful overview of how to build processing chains in VVVV that take audio signal inputs and apply diverse transformations to control events, animate particles, deform geometry, and generate stunning visual effects through shaders.
Participants will also receive a crash course on essential techniques such as mapping, envelope following, easing, smoothing, triggering, re-enveloping, and even delve into shader programming. We’ll provide an explanation of key libraries like VL.Audio for audio input management and analysis, VL.Fuse for GPU-accelerated graphics exploration, and our very own VL.Attractors for manipulating particle systems with sound.
Throughout the workshop, we’ll showcase practical use cases by sharing patches where these techniques have been implemented, offering insights into our current approach. Join us on this creative journey and unlock the potential of audio and visual synergy.
- CPU vs. GPU: Understand the fundamental distinction between the central processing unit (CPU) and the graphics processing unit (GPU), and why the GPU is your canvas for shader artistry.
- Shader Patching Fundamentals: Learn the essential nodes that empower you to patch shaders, and gain a solid grasp of the shader language commands at your disposal.
- Procedural Artistry: Dive into the creation of procedural shapes, patterns, and textures.
Generative Functions: Discovering the art of generative functions, and how to leverage them as a starting point for designing with them.
This module is made for participants who have a basic understanding of vvvv, and for anyone interested in creating sound-reactive graphics in VVVV, including those looking to delve into advanced techniques.
- A recent PC with stable internet connection
- vvvv runs on Windows only
- The latest build of vvvv gamma installed
- Zoom Client installed (please test your audio setup beforehand)
- 3-Button Mouse recommended
About the Instructor
Juan Hurle, originally from Santander, Spain, comes from a background in Biology. He later pursued studies in Sound and Media in Oxford and London and nowadays is stationed as a VVVV virtuoso at M-Box Berlin.
Juan has dedicated the last 15 years attempting to create software that allows for exploring the edge where sound and moving image meet, in the never-ending quest to find that sweet spot of harmony where two become one.
Student – One Session at 50 EUR = 50 EUR
Professional – One Session at 100 EUR = 100 EUR
Company -One Session at 200 EUR = 200 EUR