SS23 – vvvv – Working with REST APIs
Recording of the session on June 29th 2023 / In English Language
We will discover what REST APIs are, and wrap one as vvvv nodes to use it in our projects. We’ll use the VL.SimpleHTTP 1 library. We’ll also see how to read the documentation of a REST API, and test it in external tools such as Postman.
What you will learn:
- HTTP basics
- What a REST API is
- How read an API documentation
- How to test an API outside of vvvv
- How to communicate with this API in vvvv
- How to build a nodeset to re-use later
Who is it for?
Everybody who ever came accross a REST API that does something cool but did not know how to use it.
- Understanding of VL’s concepts (records, operations), knowing what a URL is.
- Windows Computer
- A 3 button mouse
- We recommend you to use an external monitor connected to your laptop or PC, this would help you to follow the instructors screen while you patch along on your own device.
- The instructor might ask you to share your screen, therefore it is recommended to remove personal data from your desktop.
A French creative coder and back-end developer who has done many interactive vvvv installations. Seb is contributing to the development of VL.Elementa, a GUI library for the VL programming language, as well as wrapping many libraries for VVVV Gamma, as you can see on his github profile. Also he has been wrapping many REST APIs, both for libraries and apps (GammaLauncher, VL.OpenWeahter…) and commercial projects.